Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words




So, just feel like writing about the presentation I have to do tommorrow for history, it involves choosing an art movement and then talking about the historical events and people that influenced them. My group did Expressionism, which is characterized by bright colours and shows the artist's view of something and their inner feelings rather than an exact copy of it. It's pretty interesting, I started researching Edvard Munch, who I'm sure everyone knows since he was the painter of "The Scream" which they enjoy spoofing. I think they did on the Simpsons.
Anyways, Munch (pronounced: munk) was kind of crazy, thanks to his childhood experiences. His mom and elder sister both died from consumption at a young age, and his father was a religious fanatic. So, Munch grew up with a very twisted view on the world and he chose to depict scenes of alienation, rejection and anxiety in his paintings. However, he was very grateful to his experiences, and even his anxiety attacks because he felt that without those harsh emotions his art would be empty and wouldn't be as good.

And I just wanted to put down two of his more "obscure" paintings and ask your opinions on them. Do you like them? What do you notice? How does it make you feel? Could you care less?

Bloggers: Send me a comment on what you think, and maybe we can get some discussion going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I love expressionism as well as certain 'modern art'. Some how these paintings remind me of another artist who is none other than Egon Schiele. He is one of my favourite paintings. I was fortunate enough to actually see a gallery of this artist in Europe.

Maria R. said...

That's awesome, I'll look up some of his paintings.