Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Something Exciting

So, I came home from school to find a package waiting for me. My mom and I order books online from chapters and so I was really excited, hoping it would be what I ordered. It was. My two books, well one book and one manga. I ordered and received volume 7 of Ouran High School Host Club which is a Japanese graphic novel about this club called the Host Club at this very elite school.

A Host Club is a Japanese tradition where women, or men, can go to this establishment where they get paired up with a worker and they have a drink together. It's very refined and is supposed to mimic the salons and tea parties of the French. While some Host Clubs can be more adult, most of them are generally about interaction between individuals. It can be considered an archaic practice to our culture, but the Japanese consider it completely normal.

Anyways, so the manga is about the characters of the Host Club and the arrival of a scholarship student, Haruhi into their ranks. I enjoy it mostly because it parodies itself; the characters are humorous and the plot line is very simple. It's just something enjoyable that doesn't require a lot of thought or contemplation, but I still love it. The make parodies of the archetypes in Japanese manga, like the pretty boy, the girl pretending to be a boy, the twins, etc.

The second book I got is called "Torchwood: The Twilight Streets" which is actual a novelization of a British science-fiction television series based in Cardiff, Wales (famous for being the birthplace of Roald Dahl) about these individuals who fight against extraterrestrial terrorists. It's actually a spin-off of the Dr. Who series and the two shows will cross over at certain pivotal episodes. It's a really good series for anyone who likes science-fiction and will keep an open mind, as it can be considered very adult, which sexual content and language. I just got into it recently and had to buy one of the books, just to see more of my favourite characters and some more development, which they can't always show in the television show.

No comments: